Ah, the holidays. The potatoes, the sides, the desserts, the turkey. We all love a good holiday meal. What always leaves us scratching our heads is what to do with all the turkey left over after the feast.
Here is one thing you can try.
32 ounces of homemade turkey broth or stock.
328g of leftover turkey
2 tsp olive oil
85g shredded carrots
2 stalks of celery cleaned and chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 med onion chopped
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1/2 dried Rosemary
1/2 tbsp dried parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 lemon zested
salt and pepper to taste
- add olive oil to the sautee pan and heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots, and a little salt to make them sweat. Sautee until caramelized.
- Add the garlic, Thyme, Rosemary, and Parsley and saute for two minutes.
- Add the broth/stock and bring it to a boil.
- Add the orzo and boil it for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, and leftover turkey.
- Simmer for ten minutes and serve.
TIP: to make sure your broth is clear, keep an eye out for fat in the broth and skim it off the top.
If you like spinach, you can add it during the last five minutes of the simmer. This pairs well with sourdough bread.
Until Next Time,
Anissa “Maddy” Walker