There is nothing like a good, hearty soup, gravy, flavorful rice, or mashed potatoes. All of the above dishes have one thing in common a good broth.
Chicken broth is a staple in many a kitchen, but many people don’t know how to make it. Sure, you can buy it at the store, but when you can make it cheaper at home and freeze it, you won’t have to go to the store all that often to get more.
If you scroll all the way to the bottom, you will get a surprise.
For those of you who are wondering if we’ve done this before, there WAS a quick and dirty recipe for broth when making a shortcut Chicken and Dumplins. This is a hearty and slow-cooked broth that is concentrated. This way you can put it in more dishes.
4 Celery Stalks, washed and chopped with the bases chopped as well.
1 Large Carrot, peeled and chopped.
1/2 of a red onion minced
1/2 of a green bell pepper chopped
5 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp (14ml) EVOO
1 tbsp each of the following:
1 tsp each of salt and pepper
The legs, thighs, and carcass of one chicken
Chicken livers from the same chicken
12 cups of water
1. Heat the EVOO
2. Add the onions and sprinkle a little salt. Sautee until almost transparent.
3. Add the garlic, green pepper, and celery ends and sautee for three minutes.
4. Add the herbs while stirring.
5. Add two cups of water and bring to a slow boil. Simmer this for ten minutes stirring occasionally. YOur bring out as much of the flavor of the herbs and veggies as possible.
6. Add the rest of the water, carrots, and celery stalks.
7. Slow boil for 20 minutes.
8. Add the chicken parts.
7. Bring to a boil, cover, and then leave on medium heat for 1 hour, not forgetting to stir. What you’re doing here is cooking the chicken and carrots to bring out more flavor and concentrating the broth.
8. Strain everything out of the broth and skim any fat.
This will make 2 liters (8 cups) of concentrated chicken broth.
Chicken and Dumplins from concentrated chicken broth.
The link to the dumplins is here.
4 cups (1 liter) concentrated chicken broth.
4 Cups water
4 Two Celery stalks, cleaned and sliced.
2 Large Carrots, peeled and chopped in 1/8-inch slices and also in half.
1.5lb Chicken Breasts cut in large pieces
1 tbsp Sage
1 tbsp Rosemary
1 tsp each of salt and pepper.
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1. Heat the EVOO and add the herbs.
2. Add the flour.
3. Add the broth and veggies.
4. Cook them at a slow boil for ten minutes.
5. Add the water and chicken
6. Boil until the chicken is almost cooked. Shred the chicken and put it back in the pot.
7. Add the dumplings and boil for five minutes.
Makes 4-6 bowls